Monday, July 21, 2008

Smile! You're on Web 2.0!

Welcome to Madison, WI, the Writing Center Summer Institute, and the World Wide Web! As you may have noticed, we're trying out some new technologies for the institute this year, including this blog, the forum, and a flickr photo-sharing site. To the right, you can see a slideshow running photos from the institute. You may meet one of our friendly UW-Madison-based volunteers taking photos during the day. We'll be uploading photos from the institute every night, and then showing new photos the next day, both on the blog slideshow and during the morning announcements at the institute. If you'd like to see all the photos from the institute, you can go directly to our flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/uwwritingcenter/ , or just click on the slideshow to the right.

Thanks so much to our volunteer photographers: Andrea Benton (who took photographs from Sunday--now playing in a blog near you!), Rob Emmett (scheduled for Monday, and a special thanks to Rob for coordinating the photographers, directions and flickr site!); Maria Bibbs (Tuesday); Rik Hunter (Wednesday); Erica Van Steen (Thursday); Callie Hansen (Friday).

Oh! And I should introduce myself: I'm Annette Vee, a Ph.D. candidate in the Composition and Rhetoric program at the UW-Madison. I'm the Coordinator of the Online Writing Center, and with Brad Hughes, I'll be talking about OWCs on Thursday. I'm also maintaining the institute website and doing general tech support for the institute this week. I'll be lurking around for many of the sessions, so please let me know how I can help you! You can also contact me via email at writing@wisc.edu.

And I should note: If you'd rather not have your photo taken, please let our photographer know! We can delete it from the camera, or if you contact me directly (writing@wisc.edu) or let Brad know, we're happy to pull the picture offline and out of the slideshows.

One more note: If you're taking pictures and want to include them in the slideshows or the flickr site, you can follow the directions Rob, our illustrious photographer-coordinator, gives out on Monday morning. We'd love to include your photos, too!

Smile big for the camera! :D

2 comments:

Melissa Tedrowe said...

Nicely done Annette!! And kudos to Andrea, Rob, and all the upcoming WC-SI photographers -- let's be sure we turn the lens on YOU during the week :)

In the spirit of the Institute,

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Oh, Melissa! I saw you mugging for the camera in those shots from July 20! We can't all be as photogenic as you. :)

That said, in the spirit of the institute, I'm willing to take one for the team if the photographer finds me!

-Annette